One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There is an upside to all of this dreary, mean-spirited mirthlessness, though.’
- ‘Must be hard to see right in front of you proof positive of the mirthlessness of your future…’
- ‘The supper-party which Roger insisted on standing that night in honour of his aunt was remarkable for the unrestrained gaiety of two of the participants and the funereal mirthlessness of the remaining guests.’
- ‘Well, by all means I'll drink your beer, even if I'm sorry to hear that you've been afflicted with protracted spells of mirthlessness.’
- ‘Desperation and mirthlessness are possibly the two most unattractive qualities in a person and, as this album proves, in music.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.