One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A common carp of an ornamental variety that has a row of large shiny platelike scales along each side. It has been naturalized in North America, Britain, and elsewhere.
- ‘However when the mirror carp turned the scales to 10 lb - 14 oz that was enough for second place and also turned out to be the biggest fish caught by the Nelson boys this season.’
- ‘My first cast produced a bite that resulted in a very deep bodied mirror carp with terrific shoulders.’
- ‘I did not have to wait long before I hooked into my first fish that turned out to be a mirror carp of about 7.5 lb.’
- ‘I had a couple of bites after this that produced a three pound ghost carp and a slightly bigger mirror carp.’
- ‘Carp lake is stocked with ghost, common and mirror carp to over 301b.’
- ‘The Reddington family took a bold step within a couple of years and restocked with mirror carp purchased from the nearby Stambridge Trout Fisheries.’
- ‘Whilst scaled carp still exist, mirror carp, with a few scales, and leather carp, with no scales at all, have been developed.’
- ‘I even caught a good, double-figured mirror carp on a white bait.’
- ‘Patient and determined night fishing at Bigland Hall coarse fishery brought due reward for a skilled local angler who is pictured with his best catch, a 25 lb 2oz mirror carp.’
- ‘It took me a long time to land the fish that turned out to be a nice mirror carp of 161b 4oz.’
- ‘It then started to tire and I netted my first mirror carp of the day.’
- ‘It is a mixed fishery stocked with roach, bream, golden orfe, common and mirror carp with some nice koi present.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.