Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An active plant bug of a large family that includes numerous plant pests.Formerly called capsid
- ‘The researchers found that populations of other cotton pests, particularly ones called mirids, have blossomed.’
- ‘Lindane, a highly poisonous organochlorine, is sprayed on crops of cacao plants growing in Ghana and other west African countries to control mirid bugs, which cause the plants to wilt.’
- ‘Nymphal mirids are very tiny, delicate creatures which may not resemble the adults very much.’
- ‘The mirids differ between regions but they are a major problem in most cocoa growing regions.’
- ‘These results show that the mirid compromises waterhyacinth competitiveness, and validate the introduction of the mirid into South Africa.’
- ‘Much smaller populations of the mirids were present on those same farms in 2005 and 2006.’
- ‘In the past, green mirids have apparently been controlled by standard Heliothis and Etiella sprays.’
- ‘In the 25 days of observation, for example, 57 plants were found to harbor an average of 3.3 predatory mites, 16 plants contained nabids, and 30 plants contained mirids.’
- ‘If the proper pesticide had been used at the right time, the mirids could have been controlled in 2004, he said.’
- ‘This was also the first experiment to be inundated with high numbers of mirids on which to make control assessments.’
- ‘With a 0.25 precision level, the number of samples needed to detect low mirid densities was nearly double for the ten leaflet procedure than for the seven leaf procedure.’
- ‘In the subfamily Bryocorinae, the mirids are separated into two tribes, Monaloniini or Odoniellini.’
- ‘We have been evaluating different mirid sampling techniques to identify accurate mirid numbers to help growers decide which technique to use and when to control mirids.’
- ‘Together, these results support the idea that resident mirids serve in anti-herbivore defense for P. urostachyum plants.’
- ‘Currently, mirid control relies on calendar spraying, which is both expensive and a huge challenge to cocoa sustainability.’
1940s: from modern Latin Miridae, from mirus wonderful.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.