One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic insecticide of the organochlorine type used chiefly against ants.
- ‘Those chemicals are identified in schedule 2 of the legislation as aldrin, chlordane, dieldrin, endrin, heptachlor, hexachlorobenzene, mirex, toxaphene, polychlorinated biphenyls, and DDT.’
- ‘As the Minister in the previous debate mentioned, the 10 chemicals are: aldrin, chlordane, DDT, dieldrin, endrin, heptachlor, hexachlorobenzene, mirex, toxaphene, and polychlorinated biphenyls.’
- ‘In addition, lipid weight concentration of sum chlordanes, dieldrin, and mirex were significantly higher for the 1988-1991 stranded whales compared to the 1994 subsistence animals.’
- ‘Lake Ontario is of particular concern because sportfish from this Great Lake have higher levels of PCBs, polychlorinated dibenzodioxins, mirex, and other pesticides than sportfish caught from any of the other four Great Lakes.’
- ‘Breast-feeding was associated with lower levels of PCBs, DDE, and mirex among female Ontario sport fish consumers.’
1960s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.