One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug which is used as a vasodilator in the treatment of hypertension, and is also used in lotions to promote hair growth.
- ‘Topical steroids, minoxidil and anthralin have also been used.’
- ‘In one study of patients who had 25 to 99 percent loss of scalp hair, treatment with topical 5 percent minoxidil produced cosmetically acceptable hair growth in about 40 percent of patients after one year.’
- ‘The mechanism of action by which minoxidil promotes hair growth is unknown, but it appears to act at the level of the hair follicle.’
- ‘The latest rage in baldness nostrums was the drug minoxidil, sold under the label Rogaine.’
- ‘Your doctor might also have you apply minoxidil solution, a steroid cream or lotion, or anthralin cream (brand name: Psoriatec).’
1970s: from amino + oxide + -dil (perhaps representing dilate).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.