One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The head of the minority party in a legislative body, especially the US Senate or House of Representatives.
- ‘And of the four that preceded them, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, and Richard Nixon were all senators, while Gerald Ford was the minority leader of the House.’
- ‘The House minority leader, Richard Gephardt, takes the same position.’
- ‘One Democrat with close ties to labor, the former House minority leader, Congressman Richard Gephardt, will be here to joins us.’
- ‘He is House minority leader, Democrat of Missouri.’
- ‘Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi of California, making history, speaking this week after fellow Democrats elected her the House minority leader.’
- ‘The Democratic minority leader was the first party head to lose Senate re-election in more than 50 years.’
- ‘The House minority leader has previously refused to make receipts available from his leadership accounts, citing the House policy.’
- ‘He became minority leader of the Senate, where he was a master congressional politician and emerged as a candidate for president.’
- ‘The Senate minority leader is the most prominent national Democrat and will remain such until a presidential nominee is chosen.’
- ‘Joining me is Mike Fasano, the Florida House majority leader, and Lois Frankel, the Florida House minority leader.’
- ‘But the House minority leader, Richard Gephardt, is hoping for an upset.’
- ‘The Senate minority leader theorized that the vote might be delayed until a lame-duck congressional session after the election or even until next year.’
- ‘Coming up next, Senate minority leader, Tom Daschle.’
- ‘Your Republican counterpart, the Senate minority leader, Trent Lott, was on this program last week.’
- ‘Former House minority leader Dick Gephardt is also running for president, he announced Wednesday.’
- ‘It was a little more difficult for the minority leader in the House not to come down hard, but he really didn't have any choice.’
- ‘Two-thirds of Allied's candidates won, the Republicans controlled the Assembly for the first time in 25 years, and Hurtt became the state Senate minority leader.’
- ‘The Senate Democratic minority leader from South Dakota straddles the fence on many environmental issues facing Western states.’
- ‘And, to be sure, he's minority leader of the Senate and therefore the senior politician in the Democratic Party, but conventional wisdom says otherwise, so we can just ignore this.’
- ‘The only thing worse than being minority leader in the Senate is being majority leader with one vote.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.