Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The shorter axis of an ellipse that is perpendicular to its major axis.
- ‘Thirty-two percent of fenestrate graptolites have ratios of 0.49 or less; that is, the proximodistal-row model produces simulated zooid domain ellipses with minor axes that are less than half the length of the major axis.’
- ‘The major axis of the ellipse will be along the East-West line and the minor axis will be North-South.’
- ‘We will assume that then the axis is called the major axis of the ellipse and the axis is the minor axis.’
- ‘The minor axis is perpendicular to the plane of rotation of the galaxy.’
- ‘In the work On conoids and spheroids Archimedes examines paraboloids of revolution, hyperboloids of revolution, and spheroids obtained by rotating an ellipse either about its major axis or about its minor axis.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.