One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lowest wage permitted by law or by a special agreement (such as one with a labor union).
- ‘This practice is actually enshrined in the rules governing the national minimum wage.’
- ‘Some states and cities have adopted higher minimum wages and enacted living-wage ordinances.’
- ‘By the same token, let's examine the minimum wages as mandated by legislation.’
- ‘If a nation enforced minimum wages or working conditions, industry would move to one where there was no enforcement.’
- ‘Should she get a job, she will not be eligible for the minimum wage because young people are deemed not to deserve it.’
- ‘It relates to past workers who in the past had qualified for the national minimum wage.’
- ‘I know as an economist that minimum wages increase unemployment, and as a libertarian I'm against mandating such policies on private parties.’
- ‘Constraining the wage would affect thousands of workers on minimum wages and lead to a real cut in living standards.’
- ‘Many economists have backed away from the argument that minimum wages lead to fewer jobs.’
- ‘We already have one of the highest national minimum wages in Europe.’
- ‘This summer is also the first since the introduction of the minimum wage and under-18s are entitled to a minimum wages of £3.08 before tax.’
- ‘Miners voted in favour of a national strike for a minimum wage, and the strike was massively successful.’
- ‘But the real impact of the living wage may be its effect on state and city minimum wages.’
- ‘Like the minimum wage, the national agreement may put a floor under wage increases, but nothing more.’
- ‘The demands of the village guards are not only genuine but also reasonable keeping in view the rising cost of living and the basic minimum wages fixed for other workers in the public and private sector.’
- ‘The agreement raises starting minimum wages by a paltry 35 cents, to $6.70 an hour.’
- ‘We have introduced not only tax credits but also raised the national minimum wage.’
- ‘It is because the claimant is over 26 that she is said to qualify for the minimum wage.’
- ‘It will offer jobs at the national minimum wage and with the same rights as permanent employees.’
- ‘The new focus on the state level includes an effort to make state minimum wages as lasting as most living wage ordinances, by indexing them to the cost of living.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.