1The lowest of a set of maximum values.Compare with maximin
- ‘The methods include the study of stable and unstable manifolds, bifurcations, index and degree, and construction of orbits as minima and minimaxes of action functionals.’
- 1.1[as modifier] Denoting a method or strategy in game theory that minimizes the greatest risk to a participant in a game or other situation of conflict.
- ‘There are real problems of deciding whether a given ‘game’ has a global minimax or multiple local minimaxes or a minimax at all!’
- ‘This paper introduced the idea of minimax reasoning for lower bounding randomized algorithms, and appeared only in FOCS 83.’
- ‘Michie recalls Turing experimenting with heuristics that later became common in chess programming (in particular minimax and best-first).’
- 1.2[as modifier] Denoting the theory that in a game with two players, a player's smallest possible maximum loss is equal to the same player's greatest possible minimum gain.
- ‘One possible solution is the minimax search algorithm.’
- ‘In game theory von Neumann proved the minimax theorem.’
1940s: blend of minimum and maximum.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.