One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A disc having a format similar to a small CD but able to record sound or data as well as play it back.
- ‘We were a little unsure about this boast at first; after all, the PSP takes new format UMD discs, and history is littered with failed formats like betamax or minidiscs.’
- ‘I would love to use a minidisc to record my research interviews, and then transfer them digitally to my computer, so that I can easily access them and highlight interesting segments.’
- ‘That explains their similar crusades against reel-to-reel home tape recorders, cassettes, DATs, minidiscs, VHS and even MTV - which they eventually had to accept, just as file-swapping will surely defeat the legislators and lawyers.’
- ‘It concerns the minidisc format, about which I know very little other than that Sony has made it less than simple to transfer recordings off a minidisc and onto another format.’
- ‘Hmmm… minidiscs are actually magnetic media, although they're digital, as opposed to conventional cassette tapes, which are analogue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.