Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An informal version of golf played on a series of short constructed obstacle courses.
- ‘I was playing miniature golf and hit the ball into the pond.’
- ‘Apart from when presidents play, miniature golf courses are not generally regarded as critical infrastructure.’
- ‘Yes, it would have been nice if he had played miniature golf in Piqua, Ohio, instead of windsurfing on Martha's Vineyard.’
- ‘If you were playing miniature golf, a hole 60 feet long would carry a par of 3.’
- ‘One night, just for fun, he even invited her and Dave to a game of miniature golf.’
- ‘After that first day, they have a picnic out in the countryside with volleyball and basketball and miniature golf and barbecue, and they bunk the kids together in hotel rooms.’
- ‘In addition to swimming and sunbathing here, guests may enjoy miniature golf, table tennis, volleyball, and paddleboats.’
- ‘James will be happy to know there is a miniature golf course to go along with a driving range.’
- ‘Besides, I can't think of any university that boasts a championship 18-hole miniature golf course.’
- ‘The children played musical chairs in the living room, miniature golf in the back yard, and rode wagons made with skates, two-by-fours, and apple boxes.’
- ‘While in Cooperstown, my 8 year old son Dylan wanted to play miniature golf.’
- ‘Get together a group of adults for a game of miniature golf, or bowling.’
- ‘It's like someone bringing his own putter to miniature golf and reading the greens.’
- ‘Afterwards, we headed into town for some miniature golf.’
- ‘How could we have a quiet dinner, enjoy the pool, play miniature golf, and all that?’
- ‘Visually, it's one of the better miniature golf games to date.’
- ‘You can even burn a few calories while bowling or playing miniature golf.’
- ‘Meanwhile, health care costs for the indigent are skyrocketing; we can't afford not to impose a 75 cent per game miniature golf and bowling fee.’
- ‘The golf complex includes a regulation nine-hole public golf course, driving range and miniature golf course.’
- ‘Aaron and I spent hours together eating Chinese food, playing miniature golf and pinball, ice-skating, boating in Central Park.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.