Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The scientific study of minerals.
- ‘As for minerals, stunning displays of China's most recent contributions to the world of mineralogy will be there.’
- ‘This mineralogy is consistent with derivation from granitic or acidic high-grade metamorphic rocks.’
- ‘Liebig was dismayed that ‘without a thorough knowledge of physics and chemistry, even without mineralogy, a man may be a great geologist in England’.’
- ‘He encouraged many young people to pursue mineralogy as a hobby.’
- ‘The extensive exhibition incorporates biology, gemology, anthropology, mineralogy, and ecology.’
- ‘The axiom that ‘simplicity is elegance’ applies to the science of mineralogy as well.’
- ‘He was a true scholar, with interests in mineralogy, physics, natural history, chemistry, mathematics, and languages.’
- ‘If not for some fortuitous timing, mineralogy would be without the current knowledge of blatonite.’
- ‘In any case, the contributions of Ibn Sina to several aspects of geology and mineralogy are significant in the history of these sciences.’
- ‘In his research, Dunn found a new mineral that he named wroewolfeite, after his professor of mineralogy.’
- ‘A tribute to him, including a summary of his many contributions to the field of mineralogy, appears in this issue.’
- ‘Renato's interest in mineralogy started in 1950, at age twelve, when he was living in Genoa.’
- ‘Following the war, Sinkankas renewed his interest in mineralogy and gemology.’
- ‘One has to remember that France was the cradle of modern mineralogy, and many scientists of these times published their observations.’
- ‘It was at this time that he took a course in geology, and from that time on he was as interested in mineralogy as he was in fish and game biology.’
- ‘Stereochemistry is also important in geology, especially mineralogy, with dealing with silicon based geochemistry.’
- ‘These differences in age and regional distribution, together with those in chemistry and mineralogy, suggest two separate magmatic regimes.’
- ‘I have tried to cover the basic geology and mineralogy of the district and hit a few of the district's highlights.’
- ‘He made fundamental contributions to mining geology and metallurgy, mineralogy, structural geology, and paleontology.’
- ‘Frondel thus committed himself to a career in descriptive mineralogy.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.