Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A corticosteroid, such as aldosterone, that is involved with maintaining the salt balance in the body.
- ‘The metabolic activity of glycyrrhizin has been known to resemble that of a mineralocorticoid.’
- ‘These findings indicate that a decrease in urine volume and urinary sodium excretion in glycyrrhizin-administered rats may be related to mineralocorticoid receptors.’
- ‘The amount of licorice ingested daily by patients with mineralocorticoid excess syndromes appears to vary over a wide range, from as little as 1.5 g daily to as much as 250 g daily.’
- ‘Diagnosing hypothyroidism or mineralocorticoid deficiency as a cause of hyponatremia requires a high index of suspicion, because the clinical signs can be quite subtle.’
- ‘The only positive finding was orthostasis on the tilt test; a mineralocorticoid had been prescribed.’
- ‘Consequently, fenugreek may precipitate hypokalemia when used in combination with some diuretics, laxatives, mineralocorticoids, or other hypokalemic agents.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.