One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A distillation product of petroleum, especially one used as a lubricant, moisturizer, or laxative.
- ‘If you have a product, which is more than two years old, it is based on mineral oils.’
- ‘Most natural makeup bases use products such as jojoba oil and candelilla wax instead of petrochemicals such as mineral oil (a gasoline production by-product), says Upton.’
- ‘Mineral oil is not used in aromatherapy because mineral oil is not a natural product.’
- ‘Petroleum and mineral oils clog your pores and do not allow them to properly regulate natural oil production, actually making your skin dryer in the long run.’
- ‘At that time virtually all available liquids, apart from vegetable and mineral oils, were acidic.’
- ‘Oils from non-food crops can be used to produce everything from plastics to cosmetics and offer a high grade, natural alternative to traditional mineral oils.’
- ‘Solid lubricants such as soap, molybdenum disulphide or graphite are preferred to mineral oils and greases.’
- ‘Products produced from petroleum, such as mineral oils, are classified as petrochemical pollutants.’
- ‘Swiss experts recently revealed that well over half of all mineral oils used in the production of chicken feed exceed Swiss safety limits between 10 and 100 times.’
- ‘These include such things as pumpkin, mineral oils and even butter.’
- ‘The singers have complained that theatrical fog - a mixture of alcohol and mineral oil - is a health hazard.’
- ‘The whole country was scarred because people never expected malicious dealers to polish stale rice with mineral oil just to gain a higher price.’
- ‘He'd hang them on a clothesline, scrape them and then rub mineral oil into the skins.’
- ‘Timely fungicide spraying and use of fogging with mineral oils will help to prevent this disease.’
- ‘There was no history of alcohol or drug abuse, ingestion of mineral oils or of recent travel.’
- ‘If you need to discontinue a prohibited product, such as a dairy-cow feed-supplement premix that contains mineral oil, research an approved substitute.’
- ‘As a general rule, you should try to avoid facial creams that contain mineral oils, which are petroleum-based, because they might leave a greasy film on your skin and clog your pores as a result.’
- ‘Beware of products that contain petroleum or mineral oils; they will damage your leather goods over time.’
- ‘Where hardness can be sacrificed, whale, cotton seed and mineral oils are used.’
- ‘Neurons in the brain respond to the oily texture regardless of its exact chemical makeup; to these cells, coconut oil ‘tastes’ the same as peanut oil, corn oil, mineral oil, and silicone oil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.