An instrument used for detecting explosive mines.
- ‘The equipment exported included mine-detectors, tank components, global positioning devices, explosives and military vehicles.’
- ‘Other bomb-clearing methods in Fallujah include using the Meerkat, a South African remote-controlled mine-detector controlled from a huge, heavily armoured vehicle called a Buffalo.’
- ‘They made products such as mine-detectors for use in Iraq and motors for use in weapons guidance systems.’
- ‘Then the mine-detector operator who was working in that area yelled for help, so we knew that something had happened.’
- ‘Children had a chance to use the mine-detector equipment, searching for coins buried in the grass.’
- ‘By 1943 the Axis were beginning to use non-metallic mines to defeat the Allied mine-detectors.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.