Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Visitors to this year's Show will find a wide range of consumer goods, fashion wear, millinery, equestrian clothing, tack, antiques, wines and confectionery on a record 311 trade stands.’
- ‘She wears her invisible millinery lightly, though.’
- ‘It is my wish that the Paris couturiers reduce the size of the ladies' hats this season, as in years past I have had many unpleasant encounters with enormous millinery.’
- ‘This book covers basic sewing, setting up a workroom, pattern draping, millinery, boning, fabrics, shoes, armour, and many other subjects.’
- ‘To be fair, the stereotypes abound as much as fake flowers on expensive millinery.’
- ‘Without Milan, there would be no millinery; without Genoa, no blue jeans; without Naples, no ice-cream.’
- ‘Even before they joined up, Frances was designing exclusive millinery to compliment the exquisite footwear.’
- ‘Getting men to take an interest in what they look like has traditionally been considered uphill work, and in the grand scheme of the fashion industry, the status of menswear has tended to rank somewhere beneath novelty millinery.’
- 1.1 The trade or business of a milliner.
- ‘Nevertheless, directories do suggest that a surprisingly high number of women ran businesses, particularly in millinery and dressmaking, in inn-keeping, provisioning, grocery trades and teaching.’
- ‘York-born Dawn has been making hats for 14 years, ever since she took millinery as a sideline while at art college in Surrey, where she studied fashion design.’
- ‘Mrs. Hicks's persistence gained her an apprenticeship in a hairdressing establishment where she learned the arts of millinery, dressmaking, hairdressing, and wig making, among others.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.