One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One thousandth of a gram.
- ‘A blood sample taken from him and later sent to the forensic lab showed a reading of 193 milligrams in 100 milliliters of blood.’
- ‘Some drugs are so powerful that a full dose weighs only a few tenths of a milligram, about the weight of a fresh fingerprint.’
- ‘It's best to keep your total cholesterol level below 200 milligrams per deciliter.’
- ‘The researchers used a dose of either 0.8 or 8 milligrams per kilogram of an animal's body weight.’
- ‘Take 120 milligrams to 240 milligrams of Ginkgo biloba extract daily for three months.’
- ‘Indonesian clove cigarettes usually contain about 50 milligrams of tar and 3 milligrams of nicotine.’
- ‘Tests showed that he had 515 milligrams of morphine per litre of blood, more than four times the lethal amount of 120 milligrams per litre of blood.’
- ‘Most physicians recommend a total cholesterol level of 200 milligrams per deciliter of blood.’
- ‘Dietary labels and guidelines, however, use milligrams, grams, and liters.’
- ‘Evidence that nitrate levels in water exceeded the limit of 50 milligrams per litre was incomplete.’
- ‘He said a person weighing 60 kilograms should consume no more than 42 milligrams of sulphur dioxide per day.’
- ‘Blood-alcohol content is measured in milligrams of ethanol per milliliters of whole blood.’
- ‘There will be three typical readings, expressed in milligrams per deciliter.’
- ‘I can miss a gram of protein here or a milligram of glutamine there.’
- ‘The MAA concentration was expressed as milligrams of MAA per gram of creatinine.’
- ‘The milk from the organic, grain-fed cows had only 5 milligrams of CLA per gram.’
- ‘The unit can increase dissolved oxygen in the sock by as much as 0.9 milligrams per liter, enough to ensure survival of the fish.’
- ‘Concentrations were expressed as milligrams of glycogen per milligram of soluble protein.’
- ‘Fruit juices, having a potassium content of about 1000 milligrams per liter, play an important role.’
- ‘Results are reported as milligrams of cholesterol per gram of wet tissue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.