One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wheel used to drive a water mill.
- ‘The lowest storey, where the mill wheel used to be (its axle is still there) is for workshop, boiler and storage.’
- ‘On view is the Victorian garden, orchard, herb garden, arboretum and fernery, as well as the old mill and mill wheel.’
- ‘Masters students visited the site, off Corn Mill Lane, to find original mill stones, a dam which would have powered the two mill wheels and the area where they would have stood.’
- ‘Acmylen itself is a typical small mill, with a simple horizontal side shot mill wheel.’
- ‘The water diverted from the mainstream ends up turning a mill wheel, setting other machinery in motion.’
- ‘The Bernado O'Higgins area is a pleasant area whose appearance is unfortunately reduced by heavy drinking sessions and heavy party litter around the benches and mill wheel.’
- ‘Peaceful sounds of nature, combined with water running through a mill wheel, set the tone for a soothing, scenic tour around a deserted watermill.’
- ‘There was a special feature on Beamsley Mill, which had the largest working enclosed mill wheel in Yorkshire.’
- ‘Water power will again turn the mill wheel and drive the turbine to provide electricity to light the building.’
- ‘The area of Croom, the Mill and its mill wheel was seen by millions of people throughout the United States on a prime time news programme.’
- ‘The pent-up waters, controlled by a sluice gate, were directed past the mill wheel, driving the wooden gears, shafts and millstones.’
- ‘To be sufficient to propel the mill wheel the flow of water needs to be 0.3 cubic metres per second.’
- ‘Even in a story of crafty derring-do like The Tinderbox, he amplifies the hero's terrified wonder at the magic dogs he meets - dogs with eyes as big as teacups, or whirling wide like mill wheels.’
- ‘Down, she said, and we slid on ice down to where the fence met the narrow channel that once turned mill wheels nearby.’
- ‘The tilted stage, much like The Kostelnicka's life, is reminiscent of a deChirico painting with two chairs and a sunken mill wheel occupying the environment.’
- ‘He said the erection of the mill wheel was an attempt to revitalise the old mill that is virtually ‘demolished,’ in the town.’
- ‘Act 3 opens with Samson alone, chained to the mill wheel.’
- ‘This project involved the restoration of an old mill wheel along the River Barrow with a view to creating hydroelectric power.’
- ‘At high tide a sluice was closed and the water then left to flow back at a controlled rate to operate the mill wheels.’
- ‘Most of the items have whiled away the years in the couple's garden, including Victorian chimney pots, flag stones, mill wheels, sinks, fonts and a church's stone cross.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.