One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A European thistle with a solitary purple flower and glossy marbled leaves, naturalized in North America and used in herbal medicine.
Silybum marianum, family Compositae
- ‘I recommend taking milk thistle at night, as Chinese medicine suggests that the liver is most active between 11 pm and 3am.’
- ‘She distributes to almost 8,000 customers a monthly newsletter full of notes on everything from anti-aging nutrients to milk thistle.’
- ‘The detoxification program is started the same day and includes vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and liver protectors such as milk thistle.’
- ‘The herb is often found combined with milk thistle or with some of the below listed Ayurvedic herbals in protective or detox formulas.’
- ‘For example, milk thistle also is called lady's thistle or St Mary's thistle.’
- ‘Herbs such as dandelion leaf and root, milk thistle, artichoke, Oregon grape root, chelidonium and curcumin also support liver function.’
- ‘In addition to these nutrients, a high quality multiple vitamin/mineral supplement with extra magnesium, pyridoxine, selenium, antioxidants, and milk thistle is recommended.’
- ‘Many herbal remedies are potentially hepatotoxic, and only milk thistle can be used safely in patients who have chronic liver disease.’
- ‘Two meta-analyses of milk thistle for liver disease detail the major limitations of prior studies and conclude that data are insufficient to support its use at this time.’
- ‘They are extracts of milk thistle, European mistletoe and alpha lipoic acid, which all have anti-oxidant properties capable of tackling cancer.’
- ‘Such patients commonly use milk thistle.’
- 1.1another term for sow thistle
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.