Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of the causes and tactical principles of warfare.
- ‘Just as a doctor's expertise is the study and practice of medicine, the Army professional's expertise is the study and application of military science.’
- ‘By continuously analyzing war and warfare, their essence and content, the military science develops, acquiring new knowledge.’
- ‘After the fall of Rome, theoretical studies on military science continued in the Byzantine empire and in the Arab world.’
- ‘But as students of military science well know, a strategic retreat is one of the most difficult maneuvers to pull off.’
- ‘I am also in favor of the academies establishing graduate courses at which all officers can aspire to master's degrees and doctorates in military history, leadership and military science.’
- ‘In the new economic conditions, the issue of financing activities in the field of military science has become very pressing.’
- ‘It prescribes which sciences are to be studied in the city-state, and the other capacities - such as military science, household management, and rhetoric - fall under its authority.’
- ‘And all the while, they must excel at ROTC studies of military science along with the summer encampments.’
- ‘Unfortunately, until the second half of the 20th century, these victories were based primarily on patriotism, perseverance, and faith and ideology, not on the military science.’
- ‘Either wait until someone generates new knowledge and makes it generally available or go into action now to advance the military science in the RF Armed Forces.’
- ‘He also was assigned to ROTC duty at the University of Florida, where he served as one of their most successful football coaches as well as the professor of military science.’
- ‘The second is that, at present, PLA military science, strategy, and procurement do not seek to wage a high-tech local war but to defeat an enemy who wages high-tech local war against them.’
- ‘That once again confirmed the academy's system-forming role as regards officer cadre training and progress in military science and technology.’
- ‘One of the main lines of upgrading the military-science complex is a change in the system of financing military science.’
- ‘He also taught military science at West Virginia University.’
- ‘The concluding part offers concise results of the studies of the history of military science in Russia and the Soviet Union.’
- ‘They openly deprecated the principles of military science and art of war.’
- ‘The introduction of such a coefficient will make it possible to resolve a number of as yet unresolved problems in financing military science.’
- ‘Soldiers were required to resolve the problem using the principles of military science before returning the situation to political control.’
- ‘The statement about the connection between officially accepted views on the structure of military science and the structure of the Defense Ministry's research organization is equally undeniable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.