One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as plural The corps responsible for police and disciplinary duties in an army.
- ‘But in many ways, the messy war of infantry, military police and intelligence has just begun.’
- ‘Criminals do not seek, in the normal course of their activities, to close with and defeat military police.’
- ‘The burden of employment has thus fallen more and more on the National Guard and Army Reserve military police.’
- ‘The military now has three major special-operations units, one each in the army, the military police and the marine corps.’
- ‘Military sources told The Observer last week that the Parachute Regiment commanders knew the military police were in the town.’
- ‘The informant took this information to the US military police, who then informed the German police.’
- ‘External security support from military police simply was not available because of other missions.’
- ‘These allegations and others, which came to light during the investigations, have been referred to the military police.’
- ‘Many of the National Guardsmen are military police, or have engineering skills.’
- ‘It also calls for a shift in military forces from combat troops to civil affairs, military police and the like.’
- ‘It truly surprises me that military police are the same no matter where you go.’
- ‘The military tried several times to enlist him, and he was indeed arrested or threatened with arrest several times by the military police.’
- ‘The military police have those types of missions so they will continue to be used.’
- ‘The protest was peaceful, although hundreds of riot and military police were deployed around the capital to control violence.’
- ‘The U.S. military police work together with Bulgarian police and watch over the soldiers at all times.’
- ‘The military authorities also admitted that the military police were investigating other claims against soldiers.’
- ‘Chris was in the military police, working in army barracks around the world, before coming to the Dales 11 years ago.’
- ‘There are several police forces, including internal security police, gendarmes, and military police.’
- ‘The more we lower posted speed limits and hide our military police in bushes and behind Dumpsters, the safer we are.’
- ‘The battalion will include both air-defense Soldiers and military police.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.