One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The law governing the armed forces.
- ‘All of the soldiers have been ‘charged’ under military law.’
- ‘Since January the cadets have been engaged in an initial period of military training that included first aid, field craft, military law and weapons handling.’
- ‘Between the world wars many of the major powers reduced the number of capital offences under their military law and executions were rare in the armies of the western Allies during WW II.’
- ‘Although not subject to military law, these civilians did have to conform to regulations and were liable for punishment - generally revocation of privileges or banishment - if they did not.’
- ‘It is this that accounts for the fact that they provided the basis for international law and the military law of most countries.’
- ‘The document was drawn up by Pentagon lawyers based on legal principles in international law, federal law, and military law.’
- ‘The ruling military junta continued the state of siege and caused the enactment of legislation providing that civilians accused of crimes of subversion would be judged by military law.’
- ‘They aren't military, so they aren't subject to military law.’
- ‘For the first time since the First World War, a system of military law was established for the armed forces in January 1934.’
- ‘According to US military law, and the Geneva Convention, everyone should be treated as a POW until the captors legally prove otherwise.’
- ‘Investigations were conducted and those found violating the army regulations (on how to deal with interrogations) were being identified and prosecuted under military law.’
- ‘His function is to advise you before and at the hearing on military law and procedure as appropriate.’
- ‘I make these points with some important caveats: I am no expert in the law surrounding torture, international law, or military law, and I haven't been following this case closely.’
- ‘The centre aims to address the training needs of the ADF in various aspects of operations law and provide a forum for practitioners of military law in the region.’
- ‘At the motions argument, we wanted to call witnesses who were experts on international and military law.’
- ‘Created free, we are responsible creatures - modern military law even recognizes the responsibility to disobey an unlawful order.’
- ‘In so doing, the ministry continues to insist that the two pilots are guilty of ‘gross negligence’, a crime which has thankfully now been removed from military law.’
- ‘Although the Defence Force has a military police unit that operates under military law, soldiers are not legally authorised to arrest civilians under civilian law.’
- ‘National military manuals and laws approach the issue in the manner just outlined because they intend to cover any violation of military law, whether or not it amounts to an international crime.’
- ‘The U.S. government can prosecute and punish people in the U.S. military under military law.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.