Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ceremonies performed by troops as a mark of respect at the burial of a member of the armed forces.‘he was buried with full military honors’
- ‘Floyd was buried with full military honors near what is now known as Sioux City, Iowa, on the highest hill overlooking the river.’
- ‘Yesterday, funeral services and outdoor military honors were held and there's a nice report in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.’
- ‘Thirteen have been positively identified and returned to their families for burial with military honors.’
- ‘As the rotors of the MH - 47 helicopter turned, the U.S. and British soldiers held a brief service and rendered military honors to their fallen comrade.’
- ‘At the end of her life she was buried with military honours at the Royal Hospital, the home for old soldiers in Chelsea.’
- ‘The three soldiers were buried with full military honours in their respective hometowns.’
- ‘Yesterday they were finally laid to rest at Berlin War Cemetery with full military honours.’
- ‘The procession will move to the Orlando Stadium and Croesus cemetery in Soweto, where a state funeral will be conducted with military honours.’
- ‘Sgt Holmroyd was buried with full military honours.’
- ‘It was a simple burial, with no military honors and no 21-gun salute.’
- ‘If killed, their spouses are entitled to the same benefits as those of a deployed soldier, but the dead embassy guard would not necessarily be afforded military honours at his funeral.’
- ‘For a short while, friend and foe lay together at Margraten; some 3,000 German soldiers were buried at the cemetery, all interred with the military honors due a soldier.’
- ‘As past commanders-in-chief of the U.S. military, former presidents are afforded specific military honors.’
- ‘Before Jiggs died in 1927, he had risen to the rank of sergeant major, and he was interred with full military honors.’
- ‘We found the bodies one month later and buried the men with military honors.’
- ‘Although he was given full military honours at a private funeral, his sacrifice is not remembered at any memorial because he was not killed in action.’
- ‘Lieutenant Saunders was given a funeral with full military honours in the small St Andrew's United Church in his home town of Nova Scotia.’
- ‘His body was returned to Australia last week and was received by members of the elite SAS Regiment with full military honours.’
- ‘Local veterans had voiced concerns by phone and mail to his office about military honors rendered at funerals, especially with the growing number of veterans' deaths and a reduced active duty force.’
- ‘Nothing less than a burial with full military honours was going to be good enough for Private Bell.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.