One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a disease) accompanied by a rash with lesions resembling millet seed.‘miliary tuberculosis’
- ‘Adjunctive corticosteroids may be beneficial in patients with tuberculous meningitis, tuberculous pericarditis, or miliary tuberculosis with refractory hypoxemia.’
- ‘A 6-month regimen is recommended for tuberculosis at multiple sites and for miliary tuberculosis, although there are limited data from controlled clinical trials addressing this issue.’
- ‘A larger number of children with TB meningitis or miliary TB have a skin test that is initially nonreactive.’
- ‘Other organs usually are affected as a consequence of miliary tuberculosis.’
- ‘Tuberculous effusions can follow early postprimary, chronic pulmonary, or miliary tuberculosis.’
- ‘On sectioning the liver, diffuse tan miliary lesions surrounded by dark red hemorrhagic tissue were seen.’
- ‘In those not previously exposed to M. tuberculosis, miliary tuberculosis of the skin and tuberculosis chancre have been described.’
- ‘This result may be especially evident in persons with miliary TB.’
- ‘Hypoxemia not accounted for by the degree of involvement seen on chest radiograph may be suggestive of forthcoming miliary disease.’
- ‘These are called tuberculosis cutis miliaris disseminata, tuberculosis cutis acuta generalisata and acute miliary tuberculosis of the skin.’
- ‘The most common forms of extra-pulmonary involvement include lymphadenopathies, pleural effusion, pericardial disease, miliary disease and meningitis.’
- ‘The beneficial role of adjunctive corticosteroids have been demonstrated in miliary tuberculosis, tuberculous meningitis and pneumocystis carinii pneumonia.’
- ‘No patients had accompanying miliary or extrapulmonary involvement.’
- ‘Choroidal tubercles, when present, can provide valuable diagnostic clues to life threatening forms of disseminated tuberculosis such as miliary tuberculosis.’
Late 17th century: from Latin miliarius, from milium ‘millet’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.