One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or horse trained specially to run a mile.
- ‘Over the next year and a half, the milers trained tirelessly, made numerous attempts at downing the barrier, and garnered worldwide attention for their efforts.’
- ‘When you mention the top milers, you have to mention Congaree.’
- ‘At the outset I assumed I would end up with two sprinters, two milers and two long-distance runners.’
- ‘The event could feature the best sprinters, milers, middle-distance Flat horses plus the best hurdlers and steeplechasers from around the world, with the leading two or three horses from each country taking part.’
- ‘Jarvis sighed: ‘He's the best miler I've ever trained, when the going is good.’’
- ‘European entered his name amongst Argentina's top milers with a decisive victory in the Clasico Ecuador on Sunday at Hipodromo San Isidro in Buenos Aires.’
- ‘‘I have no doubt that Haafhd is the best miler I have trained,’ said Barry Hills.’
- ‘And it's pretty well established that the best milers make the best stallions.’
- ‘We knew he didn't have the pace and speed to tackle the best milers.’
- ‘Strategic Mission is an outstanding miler with excellent stallion potential.’
- ‘‘You can compare her to Banks Hill and she's a top miler, although she showed she can perform over longer distances,’ Hughes said.’
- ‘He is a miler and he will go for the St James's Palace Stakes.’
- ‘Keltos, who has been ranked among the world's best milers and was slated to compete in the United States, has run his last race.’
- ‘Fifty years on, Britain's milers have dropped Bannister's baton’
- ‘Great milers make great sires, and past participants such as El Corredor and Distorted Humor are proving to be the next generation of important sires.’
- ‘If Trade Fair stays a mile, we could just witness a great miler in the making.’
- ‘He is a lovely strong colt, a proper miler, and it has been a pleasure to ride him for Sir Alex.’
- ‘It is an accolade I have always felt likely to be won by a miler - middle distance being the one that best brings together all the qualities required for the various running disciplines.’
- ‘The multiple Champion sire is well known for his stayers and middle-distance horses but he has helped to produce top class milers such as Refuse To Bend, Barathea and King Of Kings, so there is speed there.’
- ‘The Minstrel was thought a miler until he ran in the Derby.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.