One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A marker set up to indicate how distant a particular place is.
- ‘First, there was something unusual about some of the mileposts along the highway.’
- ‘Originally this line was operated out of Dearborn Station, and the mileposts reflect the distance from there.’
- ‘Thanks to them I found out the exact milepost of the point where electric locomotives would be exchanged for steam ones back in the early 1900s, when many long distance trains ran through the Mount-Royal tunnel.’
- ‘The mileposts along I - 96 were flashing past rapidly, as Michigan's generous speed limit and liberal enforcement policies allowed 75 mph on this last leg toward Grand Rapids.’
- ‘It is one of 89 listed milestones, mileposts and boundary stones in Kirklees.’
- 1.1another term for milestone
- ‘Perhaps the most significant milepost came just after the First World War, when Suzanne Lenglen won everything going in tennis.’
- ‘At first she is dressed with drab functionality, so we recognize her purchase of the famously ridiculous hat (actually based on a sketch by Garbo herself) as a significant emotional milepost.’
- ‘Tonight is the Mariners' 154th game, a significant milepost in Ichiro's pursuit of Sisler's hits record set in 1920.’
- ‘While he's busy setting records, the passing mileposts of his career mean little right now to the 22-year-old world-beater.’
- ‘Such penalties could include significant decreases in offensive numbers we will look at shortly, but perhaps more important, denial of certain very commendable career mileposts.’
- ‘Iverson turned 26 last week, a significant milepost in his life, not only because he had friends who never reached this age, but because his mom always told him that you become a man at 25.’
- 1.2 A post one mile from the finishing post of a race.
pole, stake, upright, shaft, prop, support, picket, strut, pillar, pale, paling, column, piling, standard, stanchion, pylon, stave, rod, newel, baluster, jamb, bollard, mastView synonyms
- ‘Louisiana Champions Day at the Fair Grounds on Saturday was an afternoon of mileposts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.