One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) gentle and not given to extremes of emotion.
- ‘Presently, Larry is working as a mild-mannered library clerk at a community college in Kingston, Ontario.’
- ‘My mom was mild-mannered compared to that, which was really saying something.’
- ‘Off the field he is a quietly spoken, mild-mannered person; on the field, he's different.’
- ‘One of the most mild-mannered people I know is driven into a frenzy by the fact that there is a caravan parked in a drive just up the road from her.’
- ‘After returning, we've reverted back to our normal roles as mild-mannered students.’
- ‘These are startling things to hear from such a quiet, decent, mild-mannered man.’
- ‘He was a kind, mild-mannered man who did not like the trials of leadership or the political intrigues of court.’
- ‘He's normally mild-mannered, easy-going and a joy to work for.’
- ‘Two policemen are filming and photographing the apparently mild-mannered women holding the poster.’
- ‘A mild-mannered man is wrongly accused of a crime and sentenced to anger-management treatment.’
- ‘He was mild-mannered and polite, attempting light humour to put me at my ease.’
- ‘Superman may save the world on a regular basis, but he gets to come home and be mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent.’
- ‘Jacob does not know how to react to this headstrong woman who is nothing like the mild-mannered wife he had loved.’
- ‘This sent my normally mild-mannered father, who was eating dinner at the time, into a rage.’
- ‘Even the mild-mannered people out in the provinces are now saying that there will be civil disobedience.’
- ‘He sounds like a slightly demented five-year-old child, while at the same time looking like anybody's mild-mannered uncle.’
- ‘He is too mild-mannered to be a manager; too nice to be nasty.’
- ‘And he is on BBC2 in the evenings now, asking his aggressive questions at mild-mannered members of the public.’
- ‘But this time it was not the defence secretary who spoke but the normally mild-mannered secretary of state.’
- ‘Softness and that curiously mild-mannered touch dominated Lang Lang's playing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.