Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Use barriers made of flexible polyethylene 30 to 40 millimeters thick (60 mil for very aggressive types) and 22 to 28 inches deep.’
3(used in sums of money) millions.‘the insurance company coughed up five mil’
- ‘To varying degrees the Marlins, Dodgers, Mets, and Orioles chased him, but it was the Angels who came away with the prize, signing Guerrero for five years and $70 million, an average of $14 mil per year.’
- ‘She gets the quarter of a mil if she goes quietly into that gentle night.’
- ‘He already has cashed a $6.5 mil bonus check, and he is scheduled to make $24.5 mil over the next five years (which will seem like 10 to a Lions fan).’
- ‘Jeter signed a 10-year contract worth $18.9 million annually, so that $18.9 mil figure would be included in the MLBPA's calculations.’
- ‘The quarter mil is thought to be the largest ever fine by a team against one of its players, though we bet it will be drastically reduced sometime soon.’
- ‘The Big Brother housemates have almost squandered a quarter of a mil through sheer stupidity.’
- ‘Sony was responsible for the increase in star salaries when they coughed up $20 mil for Jim Carrey to play The Cable Guy.’
One thousandth of an inch.
- ‘The drops have to be small enough to hang in the air instead of immediately falling to the slab surface, which puts them in the range of about 5 mils or smaller.’
- ‘TPOs are available in white, light gray, and black with thicknesses of either 45 mils or 60 mils.’
- ‘Tape thickness is approximately 1.5 mils and tape path component tolerances are in the 0.0004-inch range.’
- ‘Currently the American Concrete Institute's ‘Guide for Concrete Floor and Slab Construction’ recommends that the thickness of the vapor retarder be not less than 10 mils.’
- ‘Rousos adds that a buildup of 40 to 60 mils is very important.’
- ‘Third, layout engineers also need to ensure trace lengths between lanes match to within 15 mils.’
- ‘This gave us 215 mils of waterproofing protection on all of the vertical walls.’
- ‘Research has indicated that the optimum thickness for the total paint coat (primer and two top coats) is 4-5 mils or about the thickness of a sheet of newspaper.’
- ‘Conventional spray and dip coatings go on in microns and mils.’
- ‘It is graduated every mil and numbered every 5 mils.’
- ‘The average thickness of FPO in Europe is about 60 mils, and no product sold there is less than 48 mils.’
- ‘With a typical pop/rock record, the groove will be 2.5 mils (thousands of an inch) wide, and will move from side to side a total of 2.5 mils.’
- ‘One coat of some paints will measure between 10 and 14 mils, says Rafie.’
- ‘Both are sold in grades by thickness, measured in mils (one-thousandth of an inch).’
- ‘PCI design guides recommend routing signal lines along a similar path with trace lengths matching to within 25 mils.’
- ‘Some sheet metal, particularly that used in the manufacture of steel studs and other steel-framing members, may also be referred to by its thickness in mils.’
- ‘Another trend with EPDM has been to upgrade membrane thickness from 45 mils - the ASTM minimum - to 60 and 90 mils.’
- ‘Many have observed the benefit of using materials with a minimum thickness of 15 mils when ready-mix trucks or laser screeds drive directly on the vapor retarder.’
Late 17th century: from Latin millesimum ‘thousandth’, from mille ‘thousand’.
A person's mother-in-law.‘I've never quite lived up to my MIL's expectations’
- ‘Your MIL sounds like a first-class manipulator who has decided things are going to be a certain way.’
- ‘We seem to be getting into a bit of a routine now that my MIL has moved in.’
- ‘My MIL just got here a few hours ago and is keeping the kiddo entertained.’
- ‘I'm sure I mentioned that I was excited that my MIL was coming up here for Memorial Day weekend.’
- ‘They are back home and her MIL is now in a local hospital there, being taken care of by her own doctors.’
- ‘I would tell your MIL that you are finding the countdown stressful and your midwife has said stress can delay the onset of labour.’
- ‘This weekend, we celebrated my MIL's birthday.’
- ‘My MIL is an absolute darling - she's very evenhanded, doesn't interfere, and is incredibly supportive.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.