Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The arithmetic mean of the largest and the smallest values in a sample or other group.
- ‘The indicator has not pushed through the 80 level and for the most part has hovered around the mid range of 40-60 on our chart.’
2The middle part of the range of audible frequencies.
- ‘His delivery is croaky and he misses even mid range notes.’
- ‘I have mid-range frequency hearing loss in one ear due to tinnitus and maybe this is why things blend in.’
- ‘Highs can be a bit tinny but this can be tweaked easy enough, with mid range and bass being just about right for both gaming and music.’
(of a product) in the middle of a range of products with regard to size, quality, or price.
- ‘The handling, for a mid-range hatch, is superb, with an excellent compromise between handling and comfort.’
- ‘First, mid-range places tend to have grotesquely over-inflated prices.’
- ‘The regular cinematic releases shot in Toronto are usually mid-range box office players with a couple of hits thrown in.’
- ‘The counting is still going on, but there were indications that Saryna Bistro could be a good mid-range restaurant.’
- ‘So, you look on the market for low - to mid-range starters, and there's nothing too enticing.’
- ‘If you're looking for a nice mid-range camera, you just can't go wrong with this one.’
- ‘There's a mid-range menu serving posh pizzas, burgers and a range of light bites, salads and skewers.’
- ‘Dubai also has a good selection of mid-range accommodation.’
- ‘The longer mid-range models stop the fingers from flexing at the point of release, or just before release.’
- ‘It's now vital that the company produce a new mid-range car with mass market appeal.’
- ‘Peripheral functions suited to next-generation mid-range models have also been added.’
- ‘We go out for a drink, we talk, we reach the bottom of a number of bottles of mid-range red wine, but not the bottom of the argument.’
- ‘Well, I guess we know which is the stronger mid-range card for Splinter Cell.’
- ‘Systems Union, which supplies mid-range accountancy software systems, today said it had managed to drag itself back into the black.’
- ‘The Epson is an easy-to-use, mid-range camera with great picture quality.’
- ‘It will put a lot more pressure on mid-range housing stock, and therefore push the prices of these properties up.’
- ‘On the mid-range package, for example, you get a limit of 2GB a month, and on the top one, 15GB.’
- ‘Domestic car makers began to install them in some mid-range and small cars.’
- ‘A pristine mid-range keyboard rested on a stand to the right of the door.’
- ‘With this chip, IBM now has the makings of an excellent mid-range server or workstation chip.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.