One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly in soccer) a player in the central part of the field.
- ‘The second-year midfielder recorded the lone goal, which came in the 13th minute for the Warriors.’
- ‘The midfielder was later named player of the tournament.’
- ‘Midfielder Bullen scored the team's first goal 10 minutes into the game.’
- ‘The equivalent midfielder covers 10,000 yards each match.’
- ‘The backs worked hard in the first half, while the midfielders and forwards outshone their opponents in the second half.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.