One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly in soccer) a player in the central part of the field.
- ‘The midfielder was later named player of the tournament.’
- ‘Midfielder Bullen scored the team's first goal 10 minutes into the game.’
- ‘The backs worked hard in the first half, while the midfielders and forwards outshone their opponents in the second half.’
- ‘The second-year midfielder recorded the lone goal, which came in the 13th minute for the Warriors.’
- ‘The equivalent midfielder covers 10,000 yards each match.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.