Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A school intermediate between an elementary school and a high school, typically for children in the sixth, seventh, and eighth grades.
- ‘By the 2002-03 school year, almost all elementary and middle schools and their districts were on the Galaxy system.’
- ‘This year, students at about 2,000 universities, colleges, high schools, and middle schools in the United States will observe a National Day of Silence on April 21.’
- ‘Such orientation courses should be offered much earlier on, in primary schools and middle schools, when students are still shaping their views of the world.’
- ‘Houston is the 7th-largest school district in the United States, encompassing 186 elementary schools and 34 middle schools.’
- ‘In 6th grade the elementary schools merged into middle schools.’
- ‘They will teach Chinese in Thai universities, middle schools and primary schools.’
- ‘When all was done, the committee of five was given the funds raised to buy books, and lots of books were added to the elementary and middle schools and the high school.’
- ‘The mayor should build more competitive high schools, as well as middle schools and elementary schools.’
- ‘Unique predictors of relational violence included attending more than two elementary schools and attending middle schools with a higher prevalence of drug use among students.’
- ‘Thirty-two of the teacher participants were elementary school teachers, four taught in middle schools, and one was a high school teacher.’
- ‘These students were enrolled in three elementary schools and a middle school.’
- ‘Over 99 per cent of kindergartens, primary schools and middle schools opened parent schools, and most newlyweds received health education.’
- ‘A new dimension of this new peace movement is its extension to rural Southern schools, historically black colleges, community colleges, urban public universities, and high schools and middle schools.’
- ‘The district comprises three high schools, three middle schools, 20 elementary schools and three early childhood centers.’
- ‘Most of these kids live in neighbourhoods with elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools.’
- ‘The three schools selected, one elementary and two middle schools, mirror the challenges found in many large urban school districts.’
- ‘For middle schools and primary schools, the figure is around 7,000 to 10,000 yuan a year.’
- ‘The educational system in the city was comprised of fifteen elementary schools, four middle schools, and one high school.’
- ‘None of this is to say that we shouldn't improve science and technology education, particularly in high schools, middle schools and elementary schools.’
- ‘This issue's column features ideas for students in elementary and middle schools on the theme of character education.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.