One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The air-filled central cavity of the ear, behind the eardrum.
- ‘The clinical presentation of vascular anomalies involving the middle ear is highly variable.’
- ‘Lying behind the eardrum is an air-filled cavity known as the middle ear, which is connected to the back of the throat via the eustachian tube.’
- ‘The surgeon will make a small hole in the eardrum and remove fluid from the middle ear using suction.’
- ‘Cholesteatoma is an accumulation of squamous epithelium within the middle ear.’
- ‘The outer ear picks up sounds and passes them to the middle ear through the eardrum.’
- ‘This is because when the drainage tube is blocked, the air in the middle ear is absorbed into the blood in the middle-ear lining.’
- ‘The sound is normally conducted through the air through the external ear into the middle ear.’
- ‘In some cases, a doctor may suggest inserting a tube through the eardrum to allow the middle ear to drain.’
- ‘The middle ear includes all the parts between your eardrum and the hearing nerve, inside your head.’
- ‘This is a condition where thick sticky fluid accumulates behind the eardrum as a result of an infection of the middle ear.’
- ‘It is a membrane covered manhole between the middle ear and inner ear.’
- ‘The captured waves vibrate the eardrum and tiny bones of the middle ear to amplify and pass the sound to the inner ear.’
- ‘The infection spreads from the nose or throat through the Eustachian tube, a passage between the throat and the middle ear.’
- ‘The eustachian tube also allows for drainage of mucus from the middle ear into the throat.’
- ‘The eustachian tube connects your middle ear to your throat (as shown on the illustration above).’
- ‘A pneumatic bulb is required to accurately assess the tympanic membrane and the aeration of the middle ear.’
- ‘Rare causes of vertigo include stroke or multiple sclerosis or a tumour affecting the nerve connecting the middle ear to the brain.’
- ‘The middle ear is the air-filled area between the eardrum and the inner ear, and infections here can be extremely painful.’
- ‘Frequently this occurs as a result of impaction of ear wax or inflammation of the eardrum or the middle ear.’
- ‘A chronic middle ear infection is a long-lasting infection in the middle ear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.