Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The C near the middle of the piano keyboard, written on the first ledger line below the treble staff or the first ledger line above the bass staff.
- ‘For example, the A above middle C on the piano is set to the standard value of 440 Hz, so the A an octave above that has a frequency of 880 Hz.’
- ‘But when the first ladybug is on treble clef middle C, only an up arrow appears.’
- ‘It starts at the very beginning by introducing the treble clef and finding middle C on the keyboard and continues from there.’
- ‘His splendid voice spans the low C of a true bass and the middle C of most tenors.’
- ‘Diane brought Matt into the family room and introduced him to the middle C on the piano.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.