Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of medium size.‘a middle-sized farm’
- ‘Now that merging small or middle-sized enterprises into giant ones is the global trend, Chinese enterprises and international companies in China are following suit.’
- ‘He was a dull, monotonous speaker - an unheroic, middle-sized, stolid, plain soldier.’
- ‘The French community is rich in middle-sized companies producing new works on decent budgets.’
- ‘In China, around 80 per cent of food producers are small or middle-sized, with only a small minority located in major cities.’
- ‘According to sources with the International Yacht Exhibition, each marina would be home to 12 to 15 middle-sized boats.’
- ‘It is made up of 18 middle-sized taxi companies each of which is comprised of 200 to 700 cabs.’
- ‘He proposed instead complex plans to end the city's gaping budget deficit, by, among other proposals, creating a new market for trading bonds of the city's small and middle-sized high-tech companies.’
- ‘We can't solve stuff - old stuff, middle-sized stuff - within our own borders.’
- ‘But the great powers (and the middle-sized ones, too) do not pay attention even when their profound interests are at stake, unless the interest is security.’
- ‘Such activity chokes off creative efforts by others, particularly the small and middle-sized firms that are typically more innovative.’
- ‘The backbone, small and medium businesses, especially the middle-sized ones, were sold or absorbed by the capital which entered Brazil.’
- ‘However, its consumption has spread outside rural areas, and is now found as ‘typical’ food in various large and middle-sized towns in these countries.’
- ‘Thus, the total saved cost in all big and middle-sized restaurants or hotels on meals is up to 1 billion yuan every year.’
- ‘Most toy factories are small or middle-sized, with limited staff and budgets for toy innovation.’
- ‘When we visited last year, it was a middle-sized player aspiring to improve sales and profitability in a sector dominated by a few large rivals that were more profitable.’
- ‘Omar was a middle-sized man with one eye missing.’
- ‘It is important because it gives small businesses an equality of opportunity with middle-sized businesses.’
- ‘Such abstract sculptures are often seen in middle-sized cities in China.’
- ‘On a typical side street in the Latino East Side of Austin stands a middle-sized, unassuming house.’
- ‘Most of its 700-plus users are small- and middle-sized budget hotels in Europe, where the software is noted for quickly responding to the needs of customers and analyzing their habits so as to ensure a high rate of returned guests.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.