Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electric switch that can be operated rapidly by a small movement.
- ‘Reverse is engaged by pulling on a special T-bar on the centre console that operates a microswitch.’
- ‘The microswitches detect any tampering and, if tampered, the system erases the secret keys and data.’
- ‘Solder the wires to the button microswitches, and attach a small phone jack to the bottom of the footstool.’
- ‘He has used a chart recorder wired up to flaps with microswitches at 21 burrow entrances in a warren to record wombat activity.’
- ‘All microswitches and counters were controlled by a central power source connected to a digital timer set to turn on one hour after sunset and turn off one hour before sunrise.’
- ‘The participant pressed a microswitch to start the trial.’
- ‘Each chamber contained three perches (one back and two front perches) with microswitches under the crossbars that activated when the birds occupied the perches.’
- ‘The pads, known as microswitches, are activated when the object's weight is removed.’
- ‘The microswitch has eight selectable modes: High, medium and low brightness, fast, medium strobe, international SOS, and an auto shutoff mode that, when activated, will turn your Photon Fusion off in 60 seconds.’
- ‘Your common thief comes in, spots the brand new disk drive and goes for it, tripping the tiny microswitch underneath.’
- ‘After all, it was probably just a stuck microswitch, no big deal.’
- ‘We've run string from one end of our milking parlor to the microswitches that control the electric motors on the other end that open and close the parlor's three doors.’
- ‘The apparatus has two operational stimulus lights and three perches equipped with microswitches.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.