Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The smaller of the two kinds of spore produced by some ferns.See also megaspore
- ‘They have male spores called microspores and female spores called megaspores.’
- ‘The embryogenic process originated during anther culture may have different origins, for example, haploid cells such as microspores or pollen grains, or somatic cells from anther tissues.’
- ‘The polarity of the micro-gametophyte (pollen grain) of flowering plants is related to the proximal-distal axis of the microspore from which it develops.’
- ‘Within the microsporangium, the microspores are embedded in a foamy mass that is dispersed as ‘floats’.’
- ‘Both of these genera are heterosporous, meaning that each species produces two distinctly different types of spores: microspores and megaspores.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.