Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fragment of endoplasmic reticulum and attached ribosomes obtained by the centrifugation of homogenized cells.
- ‘These authors, by using differential and density-gradient centrifugation techniques, achieved the differentiation of the microbody fraction from lysosomes, microsomes, and mitochondria.’
- ‘Intact lysosomes, mitochondria and microsomes were isolated from RPE cells.’
- ‘Exposure of drug-sensitive tumor cells to doxorubicin or epirubicin results in the drugs being localized primarily within the nuclei, with much smaller amounts being localized in plasma membranes, microsomes, and the cytosol.’
- ‘The degradation of calf thymus DNA, an indicator of free iron existence, was observed in the reactions of microsomes obtained from control and baicalein-treated rats with ascorbic acid in the presence of bleomycin.’
- ‘We attempted to circumvent the need for microsomes by attempting a coupled transcription-translation-import system using freshly purified mitochondria instead of microsomes during the translation reaction.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.