Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument in which a beam of electrons or other radiation is focused onto a minute area of a sample and the resulting secondary radiation (usually X-ray fluorescence) is analyzed to yield chemical information.
- ‘Until recently, two different methods have been employed: measurement of transmission through peeled epidermal tissue and measurement of leaf internal radiation using fibre-optic microprobes.’
- ‘Pressure in the xylem elements, monitored with a pressure microprobe, changed from the initial pressure at the time of pressure step to the new steady pressure after some time.’
- ‘In view of these complexities, further U-Pb geochronology was carried out using the ion microprobe.’
- ‘Until recently, ion microprobes could only analyze dozens of such sub-grains at one time and so were able to deduce only the average properties of a sample.’
- ‘We manipulated the passive flagella with force-calibrated glass microprobes to measure the force and torque needed to bend the passive flagella.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.