Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The branch of physics that deals with bodies and phenomena on a microscopic or smaller scale, especially with molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles.
- ‘Moreover, the truth at which science aims need not be a single, rock-bottom order of things, as defined, for example, by microphysics.’
- ‘Nuclear power is a result of man's understanding, and discovery, of principles of what are called microphysics.’
- ‘We do it by taking the same approach to microphysics.’
- ‘What we see in the sky now are remnants of very, very early microphysics.’
- ‘Tell me when the senses have ever seen a principle of nuclear microphysics.’
- ‘Microphysics, for example, is a perfect expression of this: All of microphysics is based on things which are efficient, which determine our power to exist, especially today, but which exist beyond the power of our senses to detect.’
- ‘How is it that microphysics is time-reversible, yet macroscopic systems show increasing entropy?’
- ‘We could never predict this coding on the basis of biochemistry or microphysics alone.’
- ‘So now we have three simple areas of physical science: life, astrophysics, microphysics.’
- ‘See Peter Galison's Image and Logic for a detailed analysis of the transforming effects of the introduction of new techniques and new technologies in the field of microphysics in the 20th century.’
- ‘Given the claims about microphysics it is vital for Green's argument that the real causation can only be found at the microlevel.’
- ‘In the realm of microphysics, where we have strong (but still contestable) evidence of indeterminism, our ordinary causal notions do not easily apply.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.