One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gauge that measures small distances or thicknesses between its two faces, one of which can be moved away from or toward the other by turning a screw with a fine thread.
- ‘The response was elicited by challenging the ears with oxazolone on Day 15, and the peak of the ear swelling reaction was measured with the spring micrometer between 16 and 24 h.’
- ‘The thickness of subepithelial collagen fibrosis in the gastric biopsies stained with Masson trichrome was measured with an ocular micrometer.’
- ‘The lengths were measured with an ocular micrometer fitted to the eye-piece of the microscope.’
- ‘An index of intensity of the response to the mitogenic stimulation of T-cells was estimated as the change in thickness, measured with a pressure-sensitive micrometer, of the right wing web minus the change in the left wing web.’
- ‘The tumor thickness was measured with an ocular micrometer from the most superficial layer of mucosal epithelium, ulcer base, or granular layer of squamous mucosa, to the deepest invasive tumor cell.’
- ‘Prof Rainey also examined more than 1,200 leaves of paper, even using a micrometer to measure the thickness of every sheet, as well as recording their height, width, watermarks, chainlines and other properties.’
- ‘Diameters of the potato tuber were scanned by moving a laser micrometer along the longitudinal axis of the tuber at constant speed, and tuber volume was evaluated as an aggreg ate of thin discs.’
- ‘A microscope with a calibrated eyepiece micrometer was used to measure the spheroid diameter.’
- ‘The company also relies on laser micrometers to accurately measure tube diameters to five decimal places.’
- ‘Whatever it is, only a micrometer could measure it.’
- ‘Finally, you can outside neck turn the brass if the lot indicates a severe lack of uniformity when measured with a proper micrometer.’
- ‘The thickness of both wing webs was measured by a pressure-sensitive micrometer before injection.’
- ‘For each species, the length and breadth of five seeds were measured with a micrometer and averaged.’
- ‘The tractor mechanism slowly pulls the fiber from the heated preform blank and is precisely controlled by using a laser micrometer to measure the diameter of the fiber and feed the information back to the tractor mechanism.’
- ‘The surface area of allergic mucin per slide was measured with an ocular micrometer, quantitated, and averaged for each case, then compared between the 2 groups.’
- ‘The length of DNA migration in the comet tail, which is an estimate of DNA damage, was measured using an ocular micrometer.’
- ‘Using a micrometer to measure the field diameter of the microscope is recommended.’
- ‘Picard devised a micrometer to measure the diameters of celestial objects such as the Sun, Moon and planets.’
- ‘The length and width of anthers were measured with a micrometer under a stereomicroscope.’
- ‘Polished thin sections were produced using epoxy resin as an embedding and mounting medium with a thickness of 30 m, measured by micrometer and polished using 0.05 m aluminium oxide so that no scratches remained.’
One millionth of a meter.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.