One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The numerous small moths.Compare with macrolepidoptera
- ‘Herbaceous plants are larval hosts for 112 of the 160 known species of microlepidoptera of the San Bruno Mountains.’
- ‘While the macrolepidoptera probably represents a natural group, the microlepidoptera is more a grouping of convenience that lumps together many different families of small-sized, primitive moths.’
- ‘This leaflet sets out to provide an introductory framework for the study of microlepidoptera and provides information on the routes for further study.’
- ‘Several insects including some microlepidoptera and some Chrysomelid beetles have this unusual habit of making a trail through the middle layers of a leaf as their larvae feed and grow.’
- ‘Mr. Harrison will compile the first-ever dedicated species inventory of microlepidoptera in a prairie community within the original range of eastern tallgrass prairie.’
Modern Latin (plural), from micro- ‘small’ + Lepidoptera.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.