Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The numerous small moths.Compare with macrolepidoptera
- ‘Herbaceous plants are larval hosts for 112 of the 160 known species of microlepidoptera of the San Bruno Mountains.’
- ‘Mr. Harrison will compile the first-ever dedicated species inventory of microlepidoptera in a prairie community within the original range of eastern tallgrass prairie.’
- ‘While the macrolepidoptera probably represents a natural group, the microlepidoptera is more a grouping of convenience that lumps together many different families of small-sized, primitive moths.’
- ‘This leaflet sets out to provide an introductory framework for the study of microlepidoptera and provides information on the routes for further study.’
- ‘Several insects including some microlepidoptera and some Chrysomelid beetles have this unusual habit of making a trail through the middle layers of a leaf as their larvae feed and grow.’
Modern Latin (plural), from micro- small + Lepidoptera.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.