One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One millionth of a gram.
- ‘One strain survived less than a day when exposed to a concentration of at least 2 micrograms per milliliter.’
- ‘To confuse matters even more, some products list the amounts of vitamins and minerals by milligrams or micrograms, while others use international units (a microgram equals 3.33 international units).’
- ‘In Nairobi's Central Business District the lead levels were 5,000 micrograms per kilogram.’
- ‘The levels in three samples exceeded the safety limit for the ASP toxin of 20 micrograms per gram.’
- ‘The trouble was that a mere microgram (millionth of a gram) can kill, if lodged in the lungs.’
- ‘The groups received different doses of the vaccine, ranging from 4 micrograms to 500 micrograms per dose.’
- ‘Heroin addicts found dead from overdose, he will testify, are often found with only one or two hundred micrograms per liter in their blood.’
- ‘Tests on pure Paterson's Curse honey have shown that it contains up to 2 micrograms of toxin per gram of honey.’
- ‘The current federal blood level that defines lead poisoning is 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter.’
- ‘Data are expressed as micrograms of hydroxyproline per milligram dry weight.’
- ‘The results are expressed in micrograms per milligram protein.’
- ‘What this means is that the maximum safe dose for ingested mercury is 0.1 microgram per kilogram of weight of the person ingesting the mercury per day.’
- ‘The device can detect even tiny concentrations of less than one microgram (one millionth of a gram) per liter.’
- ‘We analyzed each sample in triplicate, and results were defined in micrograms per gram of dry lung tissue.’
- ‘The concentrations of manganese in two samples of surface soil taken from area A were 748 and 629 micrograms per gram, dry weight.’
- ‘The results were expressed in terms of micrograms per gram of creatinine.’
- ‘In the European parliament, however, 10 of the swabs were smeared with between 20 micrograms and 30 micrograms.’
- ‘One child's level jumped from two micrograms per deciliter to 35 after eating the grasshoppers.’
- ‘Under the previously allowed four pound per acre rate of chlorpyrifos, the ADI was right at the one microgram per kilogram a day limit.’
- ‘The rats received either 60 or 300 micrograms per kilogram of body weight.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.