One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in protozoans) the smaller of a pair of conjugating gametes, usually regarded as male.
- ‘Fertilisation occurs when the microgamete fuses with the macrogamete to form first a zygote, then a motile ookinete.’
- ‘The nucleus of the female parasite moves to the surface where a small protuberance is formed and into this, penetrates the microgamete forming a zygote.’
- ‘The sexual phase of the Plasmodium life cycle is completed with the fertilization of a macrogamete by a flagellar microgamete, and the subsequent generation of sporozoites.’
- ‘Soon after release, the originally motile female microgametes begin to settle on a surface and start to secrete a chemical signal.’
- ‘Each of these processes becomes a male gamete termed a microgamete which is equivalent to a mammalian spermatozoon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.