Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fungus in which no sexual process has been observed or in which the reproductive organs are microscopic.
- ‘Fungal endophytes are microfungi that inhabit living plants, but which are cryptic and asymptomatic in their hosts.’
- ‘In conclusion, true fungi (plant pathogenic microfungi, mushrooms) and fungal-like organisms (slime molds) offer an interesting and often overlooked explanation for some UFO landing ring cases.’
- ‘Researchers are now running tests to see whether widespread application of the microfungus is practical.’
- ‘The search for the right microfungus started with the testing of more than 300 varieties.’
- ‘Today, there are four lineages of the microfungus, and each is associated with a particular ant-fungi system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.