One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bacteria and microscopic algae and fungi, especially those living in a particular site or habitat.
- ‘The ingestion of moderate amounts of fructans can promote a healthy digestive system as they pass intact through the stomach and reach the intestine where they promote the intestinal microflora.’
- ‘Only use newspaper text pages (black ink); color dyes may be harmful to soil microflora and fauna if composted and used.’
- ‘The high heat treatment kills 90 per cent of the milk's normal microflora, destroys enzymes, and upsets the balance of delicate milk components critical to a cheeses texture and flavour.’
- ‘In areas where soils are infertile, native plants and soil microflora that are critical to plant survival often rely on intact biological crusts to provide sufficient water and nutrient flow.’
- ‘Similarly, the relationship between the overall diet and composition of the microflora awaits further clarification using modern microbiological techniques.’
- ‘It is formed from decaying plant roots, leaves, etc. deposited at the surface, and the remains of microflora and microfauna living in the soil.’
- ‘This microflora, composed of 10 bacteria per gram of intestinal content, forms a stable ecosystem that permits the elimination of exogenous organisms.’
- ‘In a preferred embodiment, the process produces microflora having a cell aggregate size less than about 150 microns useful for the production of food products for use in aquaculture.’
- ‘According to Mr Boothman, a good intake of colostrum ensures colonisation of the gut with preferential microflora and also encourages the calf's natural reaction to stand up and suck at this early stage.’
- ‘‘The problem is, these microflora are very difficult to replace in the current environment,’ says Trenev.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.