Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The minute larva of a filaria.
- ‘Over a week or so, these microfilariae develop into infective larvae and can be transmitted when the fly bites another person.’
- ‘When a mosquito bites an infected animal, the heartworm microfilariae are ingested along with the blood.’
- ‘According to health experts, when an infected female mosquito bites a person, she may inject the worm larvae, called microfilariae, into the blood.’
- ‘Transmission occurs when a mosquito bites an infected human, picking up the microfilariae, which develop into larvae.’
- ‘This scenario would have profound implications in filarial biology as more females survive to produce millions of microfilariae and the role of males is restricted to reproduction.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.