One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The minute larva of a filaria.
- ‘This scenario would have profound implications in filarial biology as more females survive to produce millions of microfilariae and the role of males is restricted to reproduction.’
- ‘According to health experts, when an infected female mosquito bites a person, she may inject the worm larvae, called microfilariae, into the blood.’
- ‘When a mosquito bites an infected animal, the heartworm microfilariae are ingested along with the blood.’
- ‘Transmission occurs when a mosquito bites an infected human, picking up the microfilariae, which develop into larvae.’
- ‘Over a week or so, these microfilariae develop into infective larvae and can be transmitted when the fly bites another person.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.