One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The minute larva of a filaria.
- ‘When a mosquito bites an infected animal, the heartworm microfilariae are ingested along with the blood.’
- ‘This scenario would have profound implications in filarial biology as more females survive to produce millions of microfilariae and the role of males is restricted to reproduction.’
- ‘According to health experts, when an infected female mosquito bites a person, she may inject the worm larvae, called microfilariae, into the blood.’
- ‘Over a week or so, these microfilariae develop into infective larvae and can be transmitted when the fly bites another person.’
- ‘Transmission occurs when a mosquito bites an infected human, picking up the microfilariae, which develop into larvae.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.