Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An isolated fragment of continental crust forming part of a small crust plate.
- ‘Subduction must therefore have taken place beneath a microcontinent or an island-arc that later collided with Baltica to produce the early Caledonian Finnmarkian orogeny.’
- ‘Determining the significance of the long-term subduction-related tectonic processes as opposed to collisions by small microcontinents for the magmatic and tectonic evolution of SE Asia remains ambiguous.’
- ‘The Menderes Massif is part of the Menderes-Tauride Block, a post-Permian microcontinent, which is allochthonous with respect to both Eurasia and Gondwana.’
- ‘Notably, the Urals developed by accretion of island arcs and microcontinents.’
- ‘The collision of North America with the Avalon microcontinent during the Devonian Period caused the Acadian orogeny.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.