Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of beer produced in a microbrewery.
- ‘Of course, a number of microbrews have popped up since the 1980s, when the market first opened up to specialty beers.’
- ‘Use local microbrews for your combos, those brews whose flavors your customers already recognize and which might meld nicely with other local micros.’
- ‘If young beer drinkers have migrated from microbrews to low-carb and retro beers, what else?’
- ‘I stick to microbrews - at least they have character for the carbs.’
- ‘I do have this funky little crick in my neck, though, but it's nothing a nice microbrew won't cure.’
- ‘The malternatives look just like a tightly compressed replay of microbrews: huge growth, huge proliferation of brands, more thought on the marketing than on the product, and fallout.’
- ‘For relaxation, campers drank microbrews, tossed Frisbees, and disassembled a Toyota Prius, then put it back together again (it was a rental).’
- ‘Import sales soar higher than the Concorde, regional microbrews flood local markets and new beer brands abound.’
- ‘Foods they are seeking to preserve include thousands of apple varieties that are at risk of becoming extinct, different types of handcrafted cheeses and small-batch microbrews.’
- ‘Customers who want some help wading through all the suds - microbrews, Belgians and rare international brews lead the list - can even consult with Higgins' beer steward.’
- ‘Sample the Bridger Bar brownies at the midmountain Deer Park Chalet or a microbrew by the stone fireplace in the Jim Bridger Lodge.’
- ‘While there are slight variations from restaurant to restaurant, each carries a microbrew.’
- ‘For a while in the 1990s it seemed that microbrews, brew pubs and craft beers were going to overthrow the established brewing order.’
- ‘I don't know if this is ‘yuppie,’ but I only drink microbrews or imported beer.’
- ‘There's a nice balance in knowledge when it comes to microbrews.’
- ‘The microbrews caused a growth in tap handles, which favored on-premise.’
- ‘In the mid-1990s the new excitement was about microbrews and specialty beers.’
- ‘However, Boulevard Brewing Company, the local microbrew, does incredibly well in our establishment.’
- ‘I noticed a tap for a local microbrew called Prohibition Ale, brewed by Speakeasy Brewery.’
- ‘In the early nineties, you couldn't turn around without spilling a microbrew on some goateed guy's flannel.’
Produce (beer) in a microbrewery.‘the beer is microbrewed in Racine’‘microbrewed beer’
- ‘I guess if you had enough of it, you'd get used to it, but none of us were impressed with their microbrewed beer… and we tried a couple of different types too, just to be sure.’
- ‘Brewster's is a brew pub and, as such, produces a variety of microbrewed beers right on their premises.’
- ‘This company is doing more than riding a yuppie wave of microbrewed beer.’
- ‘The other sure signs of the season that your customers might well already know are a pair of microbrewed perennials.’
- ‘The management obviously believes that fresh beer is good beer, and their draught lineup includes several microbrewed local products in addition to imports and selections from large domestic breweries.’
- ‘Stop as necessary to drink microbrewed strawberry-blond winter-wheat-based spiced dark pale holiday ale.’
- ‘All are microbrewed and Canadian and Pacific Northwest American beers are emphasized.’
- ‘More informally, The Landing (in the El Encanto courtyard) offers indoor and outdoor eating, live music on weekends, and microbrewed beers.’
- ‘Jeremy Kraus took the principles of microbrewed beer and applied them to ice cream.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.