Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quantitative analysis of chemical compounds using a sample of a few milligrams.
- ‘The most common technique is called EDX spectrometry - energy dispersive X-ray microanalysis.’
- ‘For that reason the identical apoplastic regions chosen for the LAMMA investigations were also analysed by energy-dispersive X-ray microanalysis.’
- ‘It was shown by X-ray microanalysis that high [K +] and low [Na +] existed in the endodermal cells of alkali grass roots, suggesting this to be the tissue where Cs + inhibition occurs.’
- ‘We studied the morphological and compositional differences of the fibrous amphibole samples with scanning electron microscopy and with energy dispersive spectroscopy x-ray microanalysis.’
- ‘The results of x-ray microanalysis allowed us to identify the fibers as the tremolite-actinolite fibrous amphibole found in the quarries and in the building material of Biancavilla.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.