Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A metamorphic rock that contains quartz and mica and resembles slate in being easily split.
- ‘Corundum occurs as an accessory mineral in some metamorphic rocks, such as mica schist, gneiss, and crystalline limestone.’
- ‘The slate, where thermally metamorphosed, has been turned into siliceous hornfels and mica schist.’
- ‘Some of the migmatites have a remarkable fragmental texture, consisting of pebble - to boulder-sized fragments of graphitic mica schist in a cordierite granite matrix.’
- ‘Further west, white and pale blue sapphires are found in mica schist enclosed by gray-brown granite near Sweetwater Station.’
- ‘The subsurface investigation indicated that there was a relatively thin layer of fill - between 5 and 12 ft thick and consisting of mica schist and schistose gneiss - overlying very competent rock.’
mica schist/ˈmīkə SHist/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.